Friday, October 20, 2006

Types of Vegetarian

In a typical setting, with some typical people, I came up with my typical confession that I have become a vegetarian. Very typically, someone will pause for a second, then asked : "Oh! But you do eat fish right?" My typical respond would be a firm "no". Arrgh!


There are many types of vegetarian. A typical one would be a Vegan. They are the most religious of all. Not only does not eat meat, but also abstain from garlic, chives, shallots, ginger, daily products like eggs, milk, cheese, etc.... its the most difficult to practice and easiest to give-up because of it's rigidity. But I do admire them because it takes determinations, lots of great determination, to sustain.


Another type would be those that practice being a Vegan on certain days of the month. It’s the easiest to follow since you just have to stick to it on certain days every month. But let's not stop here. There is more to be done. Go Vege Go !


One type to watch out for is those that abstain from one or more types of meat. For example pork, beef, seafood (for these I suspect it’s more due to religion, mental or physical). Nevertheless, some form of abstain is a good beginning.


A typical gourmet like me settled for becoming a Lacto-Ova Vegetarian. One which omits all meat but eats anything else edible. So long as it does not promotes killing. This form of vegetarianism is the easiest to stick to and also most widely accepted among other practices. We still want to enjoy deliciously cooked saliva dripping food, don't we? Nah... So much for attachments!


You can choose one of the above style that typically fits in your daily routine to begin with. But whichever you chose, bare this in mind:-

The spirit of giving brings joy. But the joyous gift of all is the gift of life!


Cathy Liew (20th Oct 2006)
Thanks to Ming Chern for inspiring this topic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cathy,

have I inspired this topic?
Wow, thanks! i'm really honored! :)

This blog really good. cos it serves the vegetarian-side of me...

Anonymous said...

Great and encouraging writings. Thanks for them!
You write about vegans "
They are the most religious of all."
Not necessarily I would say. Veganism might be a religion or something like that for some but it may be something else too. It may be even political or just question of taste. I'm a non-religious, non-political vegan. Veganism is not difficult at all to me. It is natural part of my self.

Also you say: "but also abstain from garlic, chives, shallots, ginger ..."
Does abstaining from these things make you a vegan? Not in traditional western sense. At least western vegans abstain from wool, leather, honey and all other animal products but not from ginger, garlic etc. The latter do not belong to diet of Asian strict (spiritual) vegetarians as I understand.

Oops, sorry for bringing in my western views. But I like your writings so, as I said.